Chayote squash bhaji
Note: can substitute kohlrabi for chayote squash
- 1-2 Chayote squash (sub. kohlrabi).
- If desired, remove skin from squash and cube into 1cm^3 pieces
- Soak a handful of chana dal in water and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Made phodni with mustard and jeera. Turn off heat and add hing, turmeric, and chili powder.
- Toss in the cubed squash and sautee the 1-2 minutes.
- Toss in a tomato or two, depending on availability (1 tomato per squash minimum)
- Toss in the microwaved chana dal.
- Add salt to taste (liquid should be a bit over-salty) and a pinch of sugar.
- Add ~1/4 cup water– not too much.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for two whistles.