- Toor dal
- Pressure cook 1 cup toor dal with 2(-3) cups water;
- Also add 1 full (medium-sized) tomato and 3/4th of a big onion.
Cook until 3 whistles on medium heat.
- While the pressure cooking is doing its thing, make a phodni with ghee and, in the following order, cumin, ginger (and garlic), hing, curry leaves, red chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric, and salt. You don’t want to burn the turmeric, so maybe even add it after turning the heat off.
Add cilantro leaves to the phodni.
- Once the dal is done cooking, mash it a bit (homogenize the onions and tomato), and fold into the phodni.
- Dilute with hot water to the desired consistency.