Pudina (mint) rice
Notes: Use big pressure cooker for this recipe. Makes enough for 4-5 individual meals.
- Fresh mint (1 bunch)
- Basmati rice (2 cups flat)
- Fresh green chillis (1-2)
- 6-8 cloves grated garlic (can leave out if needed)
- Cashews or peanuts
- (Optional) 1 small potato, diced.
- (Optional) Lime juice
- Garam masala (if you prefer, can add a small cinnamon stick, 2 cardamom pods, 4 cloves, 6-8 peppercorns, 1 bay leaf)
- Wash the rice and keep soaking aside in 3 cups of water.
- Grind mint leaves, chilli, and garlic together with some (1/2 tsp-ish) salt.
- Make standard phodni (mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chilli, turmeric)
- Add peas and carrots and potato (if using). Sautee for a minute with some salt (1/2 tsp-ish).
- Add cashews or peanuts. Sautee for another minute (note that cashews burn easily so keep an eye on them!)
- Add the ground paste from Step 1. Sautee for 2-3 minutes (till there is no raw garlic smell).
- Add lemon juice
- Add soaked rice with all of the water. Stir thoroughly; taste water and add salt if needed (the water should be a little more salty than you want your food to be).
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Serve with yogurt and ghee.